Great news from Friday night, our internet is back and better than ever! We’ve upgraded to Shaw and expect no further internet issues or random downtimes. Rejoice!
BC Robotics will be hosting another Arduino Night here at the makerspace this evening. There will be a slight change to the format of Arduino night as it is going to be more oriented to working on your own projects with access to help on hand (As discussed at our last meeting). We suggest showing up around 7:00 PM.
As usual they will have a bunch of goodies on hand from 6:30 onwards if you feel like browsing some Arduino products in person.
Raspberry Jam – come and see what you can do with a Raspberry Pi computer
A Raspberry Jam is
- your chance to find out about the Raspberry Pi computer*
- your chance to share what you’ve been doing with a Pi
- a chance to find out what other enthusiasts have been doing with Pi’s
Come to MakerSpace Nanaimo on Sunday 7th December at 2pm to join in the fun. There will be demos, discussions, explanations, a variety of Pi’s set up to try out and add-on boards that let you do, well, pretty much anything you can imagine.
Attendance is free; kids are welcome but must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
* Not familiar with the Raspberry Pi? Take a look at RaspberryPi.Org and learn about this amazing little machine. It’s powerful, flexible, cheap and the coolest thing to happen to computers in ages.
Today we have purchased a new 3d printer. A big thank you goes out to the members and sponsors that donated the money to make this possible.
- Model: 1403
- Build Volume: 6″ x 6″ x 6″ / 150mm x 150mm x 150mm / 215 cubic inches
- Print Resolution: 100 Microns
- Print Speed: 80mm/sec max recommended
- Filament: 1.75mm PLA (sample included)
- Extruder: Alu Extruder (direct drive). 1.75mm Ubis Hot End with 0.4mm nozzle
- Auto Leveling: Auto-Leveling Probe works with software to calibrate Z axis height (see video)
- Print Bed: Not heated
- Construction: Powder coated steel and aluminum body with 8mm and 12mm diameter linear shaft
- Belt: GT2
- Pulleys: 20 tooth, dual flange GT2 aluminum
- Electronics: Printrbot Rev F Printrboard with micro-USB connection (cable included) and micro SD card slot for untethered printing
- Power Requirements: 12V (6 amp) laptop power supply (included)
- Max Current Draw: 4.5 amps
- Motors: NEMA 17 stepper
- Overall Footprint*: 18″ x 17″ x 13″ (L x W x H)
BC Robotics will be hosting another Arduino Night here at the makerspace this coming Wednesday November 19th. The Arduino night seminar is loosely based on the guide found within the Arduino Starter Kit. It is recommend that you have the kit, but it is not necessary to participate. We suggest showing up around 7:00 PM to get set up as the seminar will be starting at 7:30 PM sharp!
As usual they will have a bunch of goodies on hand from 6:30 – 7:30 PM if you feel like browsing some Arduino products in person.
Owen, our woodworking shop leader, is putting on a workshop this Tuesday at 7, taking attendees through some woodworking basics. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in attending!
Literacy Central VI runs a computer donation program that helps supply families in need with computer systems, everything from the power cables to the mouse. We’re happy to be able to contribute, donating 10 LCD monitors for the cause!
Literacy Central VI does a great service to Nanaimoites, and we are proud of what they do. Keep on keepin’ on!
Starting Fridays at 7, we’ll be setting up Games Nights. These will be primarily socially-oriented events, whether board games, card games, video games, or any other kind of game that attendees are interested in. If you’re interested in kicking back and spending a little time having fun, drop on by! This event will also be open to the public, so if anyone you know might be interested, they’re welcome to drop in too.
This Saturday we’ll be hosting another work party – the goal this time will be to clean up our spaaaaaace a bit, including the exterior of the building. There’s some metal trash we need to take out, and lots of detritus from the grand opening that’s still clogging up the front of the wood shop. Any help we can get with regards to this would be well-appreciated! We had the place shining for our grand opening, and it’d be wonderful to see it that way again!
Early reminder to everyone we will be having our weekly meeting this Tuesday at 7PM. Everyone is welcome, including non members that wish to check the place out.